Yoga Alliance Certification
Yoga Alliance® is the largest nonprofit association representing the yoga community. Their mission is to promote and support the integrity and diversity of the teaching of yoga. They do this through:
- Celebrating the diversity of yoga styles, traditions and lineages;
- Advocating for self-regulation in the yoga industry and universal access to safe yoga practices;
- Upholding the worldwide growth of yoga through education and community;
- Educating the public on the value and credibility of voluntary registration with Yoga Alliance Registry, our related 501(c)(3) non-membership public charity;
- Encouraging safe yoga instruction by promoting adoption of Yoga Alliance Registry’s quantitative Standards;
- Inspiring members to foster an informal yoga community by providing fair and full feedback to Registered Yoga Schools, which fosters accountability and continual improvement;
- Advocating to protect the yoga community from unfair or unnecessarily burdensome patents, taxation or government regulation;
- Guiding yoga teachers and schools in achieving success with conscious and effective business practices; and
- Serving the member community by supporting scholarship programs, providing benefits, and developing strategic alliances.
An RYS 200 school provides a 200-hour training program that meets or exceeds Yoga Alliance Standards. It should adequately prepare trainees to teach a general adult population. Students who complete trainings with these schools are eligible to register as a Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT 200).
A RYS 300 school provides a 300-hour training that meets or exceeds Yoga Alliance 300-hour Standards, which are for advanced study. A school can register its 300-hour advanced program only if it also offers foundational training through its RYS 200 or RYS 500 program.
A RYS 500 school provides a 500-hour training that meets or exceeds Yoga Alliance Standards. Students who complete trainings with these schools are eligible to register as RYT 500s.
For more information about the Yoga Alliance, visit their website.