Asheville Yoga Center
Asheville Yoga Center is one of the most popular yoga schools in the Southeast. Our foundational programs are designed to enhance your personal knowledge, deepen your practice and provide you with the confidence and skills necessary to safely experience or teach yoga.
We offer three types of event:
- Yoga workshops (non-certification events)
- 200 Hour RYT training courses
- 300 Hour certified training courses (Advanced Study and Therapeutically-Oriented)
The Roots of Yoga
August 9 - 12, 2018
All Levels Welcome
300-hour YA Credit
Save $100 if you sign by June 28, 2018
$350 with Early Bird Special!
($450 after June 28, 2018)
Thursday - Saturday 9:00am – 12:30pm l 2:00 – 5:00pm
Sunday 9:00am – 12:30pm
Want to learn the roots of yoga? Are you curious about the long and rich history of yoga in India as well as the West? In this 4-day course, Michael will guide you from the origins of yoga to the modern day yogi, using Sanskrit as a guiding tool.
Each day will include reading materials, lecture, discussions and all levels āsana practice. Throughout the course, you will learn how to read, write and pronounce Sanskrit, especially how it relates to Yoga's history and modern relevance in pronouncing yoga postures themselves.
- The Vedas
- The Upanishads
- Śramana traditions like early Buddhadharma and Jainadharma
- Hiranya Garbha, Patañjali, and the Yoga Śastra
- Sānkhya, Kapila and Īśvara Krsna
- Valmiki and the Rāmāyana
- Veda Vyāsa, the Mahābhaārata and Bhagavad Gītā
- Nagarjuna, Mahāyana and Vajrayana Buddhism
- Šankaracarya and Advaita Vedānta
- Ramanuja, Nārada and the Bhakti movement
- Tantra, Svātmārāma and the Hatha Yoga Pradīpikā
- The 6 Yogas of Niguma, Naropa and Vijñāna Bhikshu
- Swami Vivekānanda, Paramahansa Yogānanda and Theos Benard
- Krishnamacharya, Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr.
- Indra Devī, K. Pattabhi Jois, BKS Iyengar and TKV Desikachar
- Śivananda and Swami Satchidānanda
- Sharon Gannon, David Life and Jivamukti Yoga
The Language of Yoga by Nicolai Bachman
Roots of Yoga by James Mallinson and Mark Singleton
Indian Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction by Sue Hamilton (any edition)
The Yoga Tradition by Georg Feuerstein
300 Hour Advanced Studies Teacher Training Modules
Choose 11 modules in total from these four categories:
- Pick at least one 3-day course
- Pick at least one 4-day course
- Pick at least one 5-day Intensive
- Pick the remaining eight courses from any of the four categories (weekend, 3-day, 4-day, or 5-day*)
*You must complete 11 separate modules for graduation. Most modules offered multiple times per year.