Asheville Yoga Center
Asheville Yoga Center is one of the most popular yoga schools in the Southeast. Our foundational programs are designed to enhance your personal knowledge, deepen your practice and provide you with the confidence and skills necessary to safely experience or teach yoga.
We offer three types of event:
- Yoga workshops (non-certification events)
- 200 Hour RYT training courses
- 300 Hour certified training courses (Advanced Study and Therapeutically-Oriented)
Senior Yoga Teacher Training
October 19 - 22, 2017
300-hour YA credit
All Levels Welcome
Save $100 if you register by September 28, 2017
$350 with Early Bird Special!
($450 after September 28, 2017)
Thursday - Saturday 9:00am – 12:30pm l 2:00 – 5:00pm
Sunday 9:00am – 12:30pm
Seniors 65 and older are the fastest growing population right now. These baby boomers are in desperate need of yoga and education to help them adapt to their older bodies, minds and spirits.
During our time together, we will cover the basics of the aging process, looking at how yoga affects the aging process and also how aging may impact yoga practice. We will also cover special considerations relevant for specific conditions, including spine conditions, joint replacement, heart and breathing conditions, stroke and other neurological conditions, chronic pain, autoimmune disorders, and cancer. Time will also be spent on safe ways to improve balance and decrease fall risk. Sample classes will include floor and chair practices. We will explore modifications for yoga practices appropriate for people with limitations regardless of age. This weekend will be valuable for yoga instructors wanting to share the benefits and inner experience of yoga with a wide range of people while keeping them safe.
Learning objectives for the weekend:
• List a variety of physical and cognitive changes that occur during the natural aging process.
• Teach a safe chair yoga class for a wide variety of physical and cognitive ability levels.
• Describe contraindications for yoga practice relevant to common conditions associated with aging.
• Demonstrate yoga asana modifications appropriate for a variety of conditions.
• List key components of the normal balance response, and demonstrate how to safely incorporate them into a yoga class for older adults.
Easy Does It Yoga by Alice Christensen
Yoga as Medicine by Timothy McCall
Yoga for Arthritis by Fishman & Saltonstall
Yoga for Osteoporosis by Fishman & Small
Yoga and Multiple Sclerosis by Fishman & Saltonstall
The Yoga Handbook by Stephanie Keach
Cancellation Processing: $150
More Info: Senior Yoga & 300 Hour Advanced Studies
300 Hour Advanced Studies Teacher Training Modules
Choose 11 modules in total from these four categories:
- Pick at least one 3-day course
- Pick at least one 4-day course
- Pick at least one 5-day Intensive
- Pick the remaining eight courses from any of the four categories (weekend, 3-day, 4-day, or 5-day*)
*You must complete 11 separate modules for graduation. Most modules offered multiple times per year.