The Roots of Yoga
This event is a 300 Hour RYT Teacher Training module. They are open to all, though you will get the most out of them if you have some yoga experience. We consider these advanced yoga studies. You do not need to be working on 300 hour certification to take this training. Full attendance required for 300-hour credit.
August 9 - 12, 2018
All Levels Welcome
300-hour YA Credit
Save $100 if you sign by June 28, 2018
$350 with Early Bird Special!
($450 after June 28, 2018)
Thursday - Saturday 9:00am – 12:30pm l 2:00 – 5:00pm
Sunday 9:00am – 12:30pm
Want to learn the roots of yoga? Are you curious about the long and rich history of yoga in India as well as the West? In this 4-day course, Michael will guide you from the origins of yoga to the modern day yogi, using Sanskrit as a guiding tool.
Each day will include reading materials, lecture, discussions and all levels āsana practice. Throughout the course, you will learn how to read, write and pronounce Sanskrit, especially how it relates to Yoga's history and modern relevance in pronouncing yoga postures themselves.
- The Vedas
- The Upanishads
- Śramana traditions like early Buddhadharma and Jainadharma
- Hiranya Garbha, Patañjali, and the Yoga Śastra
- Sānkhya, Kapila and Īśvara Krsna
- Valmiki and the Rāmāyana
- Veda Vyāsa, the Mahābhaārata and Bhagavad Gītā
- Nagarjuna, Mahāyana and Vajrayana Buddhism
- Šankaracarya and Advaita Vedānta
- Ramanuja, Nārada and the Bhakti movement
- Tantra, Svātmārāma and the Hatha Yoga Pradīpikā
- The 6 Yogas of Niguma, Naropa and Vijñāna Bhikshu
- Swami Vivekānanda, Paramahansa Yogānanda and Theos Benard
- Krishnamacharya, Gandhi and Martin Luther King Jr.
- Indra Devī, K. Pattabhi Jois, BKS Iyengar and TKV Desikachar
- Śivananda and Swami Satchidānanda
- Sharon Gannon, David Life and Jivamukti Yoga
Recommended Reading (click on book title to purchase):
Indian Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction by Sue Hamilton (any edition)
The Yoga Tradition Georg Feuerstein
Upon registration you will receive an immediate email confirmation containing details about the workshop and information regarding the studio. If you are currently enrolled in our 300 Hour Advanced Studies Teacher Training Modular program, will receive immediate credit after attending the module. You do not need to do anything, however, please feel free to contact email@example.com with any concerns.
100% attendance required to all 300 Hour modules.
Need a place to stay? Check out our Lodging options!
What are Advanced Study Modules?
We’ve built our Advanced Study Modular Program around the drop-in concept. There are 11 required modules you need to take, each lasting anywhere from 2-5 days long, generally over a weekend. Modules are taught either by one of our experienced staff members or an international yoga teacher. We bring some of the biggest names in the industry to our studio and programs. In this very flexible modular program, you get to decide which particular module you take, at what time and taught by whom. And you have 5 years to complete 11 modules (some students do it within 2 years though). Modules are generally open to the public as well, so you will be joined by experienced teachers as well as aspiring enthusiasts. Modules can be taken by someone not going after a 300 Hour Certification–though if they decide later to pursue the 300 Hour Certification, they can retroactively include the modules they’ve already taken in the past 12 months only.
Choose 11 modules in total from these four categories:
- Pick at least one 3-day course
- Pick at least one 4-day course
- Pick at least one 5-day Intensive
- Pick the remaining eight courses from any of the four categories (weekend, 3-day, 4-day, or 5-day*)
*You must complete 11 separate modules for graduation. Most modules offered multiple times per year.