Total Yoga Immersion - Carrboro, NC (Chapel Hill)
Three week - 230 hour Intensive Yoga Teacher Training Certification
Through Yoga Alliance and the Asheville Yoga Center
This program is our comprehensive training, which runs over three weeks. It is the same curriculum as our 9-weekend over 7-months program. This type of learning works best for those that like to immerse themselves deeply into their studies. This also works for folks that can dedicate a three week stretch to their studies more easily than stretching it out over 9-weekends and 7 months. The Total Yoga Immersion is offered several times a year in a variety of South Eastern cities.
Do you have questions, comments or concerns? Please contact us.
DatesJuly 15th - August 2, 2013
Save $300 if you sign up by June 15th, 2013
Certified by Yoga Alliance
The curriculum will be identical to the Asheville program.The only difference in the two programs, besides location, will be fewer instructors. The three most senior teachers will be teaching the entire program.
Everything You Need to Know
Our 230 hour program is an intensive-study course for those wanting to deepen their understanding of Yoga, as well as prepare students to teach and practice safely, successfully, and compassionately. We will cover all the physical, philosophical and scientific aspects of Yoga, by introducing you to some of the best Yoga specialists here in the Southeast. Because of our incredible curriculum, many schools are mimicking our program. What a testimony to excellence!
We aim to break free of any dogma, ritual or sectarian approach by introducing many styles of Yoga: Iyengar, Anusara, and Flow are the major styles covered, while we also explore Ashtanga, Kundalini, Phoenix Rising Yoga Therapy, Desikachar, Restorative, Partner, Bikram, Therapeutic, Psychological and more, in the most compassionate, humorous and thorough of ways. Creativity and personal inspiration will be encouraged as you develop your “own” teaching style.
However, you don’t have to be a teacher, nor even desire to become a teacher to attend these courses. Your Yoga practice will reach new heights as you become more grounded and peaceful through this ancient practice. All classes are held in the beautiful sunny studio at 239 S. Liberty St (corner of E Chestnut and Liberty) in Asheville NC. The certificate you receive will be another step on your path to greater self-awareness and understanding, enabling you to Live your Truth that is Your Yoga.
Our 230 hour program is the first step, open to any serious student of Yoga who has been studying with a teacher for a minimum of six months. Even if you have been teaching Yoga for 20 years, this is an important first step as we start from the beginning for everyone, so we can all safely teach a beginning level Yoga class. Our average student body ranges from ages 22 - 65 years.
- What people are saying
“I can never thank you enough not just for teaching me Yoga, but giving me hope through the practice to face this most difficult world.”
-J. Blume, Kannapolis, NC
I enjoyed the range of subjects covered and the way we tackled them, including other yoga instructors and their different styles. This kind of exposure probably wouldn't have occurred at other institutions”
- N. Conrad, Cornelius, NC
“Stephanie is a wise and wonderful teacher. She shares her vast knowledge of yoga and meditation in more than words, but in the mindfulness and compassion she imparts in every moment of interaction with her students.
- E. Lang, Spartanburg, SC
“I was in awe of the education I have received ....much deeper and more
technical than anything I gained from Medical courses taken in the past.. thank you...Yoga is now my passion, my Life.”
- S. Dulken, Fairview, NC
- Our Incredible Staff
Since he can remember, Michael’s parents were his first and perfect Teachers in this life. In a way, everyone he meets continues to teach him perfectly by being examples of both how and how not to live. Among the many teachers who continue teach him, he has learned from Sri Swami Satchidananda, Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, Sharon Gannon, David Life, Geshe Michael Roach, Lama Christie McNally, Lama Marut, Kimberley Theresa, and his beloved partner, Stephanie.
It is his honor, privilege and hope to return the kindness that so many people have bestowed upon him, by teaching the highest practices of Yoga to all levels of practitioners… responsibly, joyfully, and in a way that will help others achieve their goals in this life and beyond.
Kimberley, E-RYT 200 &RYT 500, received her teacher training at the Asheville Yoga Center in Asheville, NC under the direction of Stephanie Keach. She is registered with the Yoga Alliance at both the E-RYT 200 and 500 hour Advanced Studies levels.
Kimberley's personal practice began in 2003 and quickly became a life changing passion. Her love of Zen meditation, Vinyasa, and Yin Yoga have inspired her to share the healing powers of Yoga with others. She is passionate about helping students find connections between their practice on the mat and in their everyday lives. Kimberley's classes will challenge you as they guide you to practice from a place of honest exploration, acceptance, and personal freedom. The result is a fun and educational class that empowers each student to create their own practice, using their own strengths and weaknesses. Kimberley's authentic, warm and lighthearted spirit will encourage you to find your own yoga voice! Classes will be fun and challenging and know that your needs will be well-tended.
Kimberley has been blessed to find beautiful and inspiring teachers in Thich Nhat Hanh, Stephanie Keach, Shala Worsley, Erich Schiffmann, Paul Grilley, Scott Blossom, Michael Stone, Tim Miller, David Williams, David Swenson, Doug Keller, and the countless other shining souls that she meets along the path daily.
Kimberley practices and teaches meditation in the tradition of Thich Nhat Hanh and received the transmission of the Five Mindfulness Trainings from him in October of 2011.
Kimberley and her husband John are the grateful owners of Amsa Yoga.
Marion was introduced to the Rolf Method of Structural Integration and became a certified practitioner in 1996. She completed an Associate’s Degree in Nursing from A-B Tech College and a Certification for Yoga Instruction from the Asheville Yoga Center in 1999. Students will learn about the human body through her hands-on experiential teaching style.
Lies Sapp is a joint owner of the Carborro Yoga Company and lead as well as program administrator for their Teacher Training. Her recent certification as a Registered Yoga Teacher has shown her how to keep a teacher training pertinent, exciting, and fulfilling. Lies is also bringing back some fun and unusual experiences from her recent yoga junket to India.
Sommer Sobin is a certified Anusara Yoga Instructor who resides with her husband (also an Anusara instructor) and baby daughter in Chapel Hill, NC. Along with teaching weekly local classes, national workshops and extended trainings, Sommer's passion is guiding aspiring yoga teachers in developing their own unique and authentic expression of sharing the love of yoga to their students. She has served on the board of the Anusara Yoga Certification Review Board since 2007 and has mentored many students through the rigorous the certification process. In Sommer's classes, you will feel how deeply committed she is to assisting each person recognizing the deepest truth of the light within. She also offers insight and guidance from years of other studies in herbal medicine, energetic healing, nutrition, and self transformation work. She bows to her teachers in all the forms they take and have taken over the years. Visit her website at thousandpetalsyoga.com</a href>.
See Sommer Sobin's schedule
- Alignment Principles
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Anusara Principles
- Ashtanga Yoga
- Bandhas (locks)
- Bhagavad Gita
- Bhavana (visualization)
- Chair Yoga
- Chanting (Kirtan and Vedic chants)
- Communication skills
- Different approaches to broadening your belief of what Yoga is
- Emotions and yoga (depression, anxiety, addiction, PTSD)
- Ethics – including Yamas and Niyamas
- Hands On Adjustments
- Home Practice
- Jivamukti yoga
- Kids Yoga
- Kundalini yoga
- Languaging (communication skills)
- Lesson Planning
- Mantra Meditation
- Meditation practices from Yogic and Buddhist lineages
- Nutrition (yogic)
- Pathology and Injuries
- Pranayama (breathing practices)
- Prenatal/Postnatal Yoga
- Psychology and yoga
- Restorative Yoga
- Savasana massage
- Senior Yoga
- Student Assisting (hands on assisting for another teacher)
- Student Teaching (peer and public)
- Sun Salutation history and lineages (surya namaskar)
- Sutras of Patanjali
- Tantric Theory and History
- Tapas (building internal heat)
- Vinyasa Krama (the art of class sequencing)
- Ways to avoid pitfalls with your asana, pranayama, or meditation practices
- Ways to enhance and strengthen your personal practice
- Women’s health (pregnancy, menstruation, menopause)
- Yin Yoga
- Peer Review of student teaching
- Yoga Nidra (deep relaxation)
- Curriculum Requirements and Hours
The following curriculum requirements are strongly emphasized:
- commitment to the entire program
- practice meditation or pranayama at least 10-20 minutes a day
- practice asana at least 1/2 to 2 hours a day
- daily journal writing to record above practice
- one research paper: 5-10 pages due 8th weekend (topics assigned first weekend)
- several 1-2 page book reports and biographies
- 11 required textbooks + additional reading means lots of reading!!
CURRICULUM HOURS (meets Yoga Alliance standards)
teaching methodology: 20
philos, ethics, lifestyle 20
total 230 hours
- Dates and Times
July 15 - August , 2012
Mon., July 15 - August 2 (held in the studio at CYCo)
Mondays 8:00am - 11:45am, 1:15pm - 5:30pm
Tuesdays 8:00am - 12:00pm, 1:30 - 5:30pm
Wednesdays 8:00am - 12:00pm, 1:30 - 5:30pm
Thursdays 8:00am - 12:00pm, 1:30 - 5:30pm
Fridays 8:00am - 11:45am, 1:15pm - 5:00pm
Saturdays 8:00am - 12:00pm, 1:30 - 5:30pm
Sundays DAY OFF
and our final Friday, Aug. 2 is 7:00am - 11:45am
- Required Reading
The following list is the required reading of the Asheville Yoga Center 3 Week Immersion Teacher Training Program. All books can be purchased in advance directly from the Asheville Yoga Center.
Cost for the entire bundle is $225 (includes s&h) and can be purchased here: BUY 200hour BUNDLE. In-store cost is $200.
The Yoga Handbook, An Inspirational Reference for Teaching and Home Practice, Stephanie Keach, $40 Buy now
Light On Yoga, BKS Iyengar
Yoga - The Spirit & Practice of Moving into Stillness, Erich Schiffman
Bhagavad Gita, the Stephen Mitchell translation
The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Sw. Satchitananda
The Heart of Yoga, Desikachar
Back Care Basics, Mary Pulling Shatz
Yoga Anatomy, Leslie Kaminoff
The Miracle of Mindfulness, Thich Nhat Hanh
The Breathing Book, Donna Fahr
- Tuition is $2900
- Sign up by April 15, 2013 and save $600.
Sign up by June 15, 2013 and save $300.
- Full payment or a deposit of $600 is needed to secure your placement. If you pay just the deposit, one third of your remaining balance is due each Monday of the training.
- Tuition does not include accommodations, books or teacher training manual.
- Because this is one of the most popular Teacher Training Programs in the South East, we will accept the first 28 applicants that qualify for the 9 weekend programs and only the first 22 applicants that qualify for the Immersions. Once the programs fill, there will be a waiting list you can join.
- Programs fill months before the starting date.
- Some scholarship and work-trade available on a first come basis.
- We accept checks, cash, Visa, MC
- Already a teacher training graduate, but wanting to repeat? Discounts available. Because Stephanie's practice is always expanding and changing, so are her trainings, and many students have asked about repeating a training. Stephanie offers a 30% discount to repeat the same training, just register online with a regular deposit, making a note to Stephanie to include the 30% discount of the entire program when she sends you the balance due. YA credit can be applied.
- Stephanie offers a 10% discount to students who graduated from any of her 5-day vinyasa or 230-hour trainings; and who are then interested in taking the 5-day or 230 hour training with her. Just register online with a regular deposit, making a note to Stephanie to include the 10% discount of the entire program when she sends you the balance due.
- Cancellation Policy
- Application Process
Students must fill out an application in order to make payments and reserve a spot in the trainings. Please fill out the application below before you register.
- Prerequisites Required
Applicants are chosen on a first come basis, with the following prerequisites being met:
- a minimum of six-month’s experience with any live teacher (or many teachers) in any style of Hatha Yoga (this is so you don't apply with only dvd or video learning)
- to want to safely teach a beginning level Yoga class.
- a desire to enhance your own Yoga practice
- a desire to broaden your belief of what Yoga is
- a desire to Live Your Yoga
- a desire to open your heart to its fullest
Do you have questions, comments or concerns? Please contact us.