Therapeutically Oriented Teacher Training
10+ Weekends Over 9 Months
Asheville Yoga Center offers the some of the best Yoga Alliance certified instructors and certified health care professionals in the nation. You will deepen your knowledge of Yoga as you explore therapeutic yoga traditions, modalities, and yoga practices.
This 300 hour yoga instructor certification was designed specifically to address the therapeutic essentials of yoga using asana, meditation, pranayama, energy anatomy, ayurveda, marma, mantra and psychology.
The program is taught by licensed health care professionals as well as seasoned yoga practitioners specializing in therapeutic elements. Be prepared to be immersed in the wisdom of yoga as a physical, emotional and spiritual healing practice. You will deepen your understanding of how to work one-on-one with your students so they can compassionately modify poses, accommodating to the unique needs of their bodies.
“Even though all yoga has a holistic intent, including yoga teacher trainings, I would love it if all teacher training graduates kept continuing their education past a 200hour certificate. Every yoga teacher gets yoga students with specific conditions that could use more of our time and experience to help them. With the brilliant assistance of Libby Hinsley, we created our most in-depth training that the Asheville Yoga Center offers. Our Therapeutically Oriented 300hour Yoga TT helps the yoga teacher adapt the practice of yoga to the individual needs of students with specific or persistent health problems not usually addressed in a group class. Our graduates walk away with the confidence to help individuals increase general health, restore balance and wellbeing, increase vitality, and improve attitude. I am so very proud of this program.“
— Stephanie Keach, Owner of the Asheville Yoga Center and Director of all Teacher Training Programs
Beginning September 21, 2018:
1. September 21 – 23, 2018
2. October 12 – 14, 2018
3. November 16 – 18, 2018
4. December 7 – 9, 2018
5. January 4 – 6, 2019
6. January 25 – 27, 2019
7. February 22 – 24, 2019
8. March 15 – 17, 2019
9. April 12 – 14, 2019
10. GRAD WEEK: MAY 3 – 8, 2019
*make up weekend in case of a full weekend cancellation due to inclement weather only: April 26 – 28, 2019 (please reserve)
**Students will also need to complete any TWO additional 300 hour modules from Asheville Yoga Center, (see Additional Requirements tab) to be eligible for the 300 hour YA Certification through the Asheville Yoga Center (these are not included in tuition)
Save $500 if you sign up by August 1, 2018
$3500 with Early Bird Special!
($4000 after August 1, 2018)
Please make sure your application is submitted to process your payment. You may pay in full or hold your spot and any early bird discounts with a $500 deposit.
- We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express with our online payment system.
- If you would like to pay by cash or check please do so at the Front desk of Asheville Yoga Center or contact us by emailing email@example.com.
- Tuition does not include accommodations, food or books. Click here for required reading.
- Programs often fill months before starting date, so please plan ahead. We suggest booking housing with us at Namastay House or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We accept the first 28 applicants that qualify. If you apply but the program is already filled, we will contact you and place you on the waiting list if you choose.
- Payment Plan Options: Once you pay the $500 deposit, you must have half the tuition paid by first session, with full balance paid off by weekend 4, otherwise you will be suspended from the program. Of course, you may pay off your full balance before or by the first session.
From your deposit or full tuition, $150 is non-refundable and non-transferable until 7 days before the start date. Cancellation notices (via email or phone calls) received within 7 days of the start of a training session will result in forfeiture of your entire $500 deposit, any remaining balance will be refunded. Withdrawals from active trainings will result in the loss of all fees with refunds to be evaluated on an individual basis.
To be eligible for the 500 RYT certification you will need to have already obtained a Yoga Alliance Certification at the 200 hour level, (from the Asheville Yoga Center or elsewhere).
- Certificate from a 200 hour YA program (doesn’t have to be from Asheville Yoga). Please contact us if you have special circumstances.
- Own and watch several times: Anatomy for Yoga DVD by Paul Grilley
- Know your bones! You should be able to name all the bones from this diagram by heart on the first day of the course, as there will be a quiz.
- Read Yoga as Medicine by Yoga Journal and Timothy McCall (one of our required reading texts). Then, write a one page paper: Pick 2 chapters between 8 – 27 from Yoga as Medicine, and write a chapter summary (1-2 paragraphs) and present 5 yoga poses a person with this condition could work on individually at home to ease any discomfort ,(cannot be same poses as presented in the chapter itself). Please bring this assignment with you to turn in on the first day of the program.
- A current CPR certification (two year expiration on certification). Please bring your copy to be shown to instructor on the first day of class.
Of the following, any edition is fine:
- Anatomy for Yoga DVD (not a book) by Paul Grilley
- Yoga as Medicine by Yoga Journal and Timothy McCall
- Yoga for Arthritis: The Complete Guide by Loren Fishman MD and Ellen Saltonstall
- The Muscle Book by Paul Blakey
- Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering through Yoga by Amy Weintraub
- Yoga Nidra: A Meditative Practice by Richard Miller (book and cd)
- The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice by TKV Desikachar
- Light on Pranayama; The Yogic Art of Breathing by BKS Iyengar
- Yoga for Transformation: Ancient Teachings and Practices for Healing the Body, Mind and Heart by Gary Kraftsow
- Waking: A Memoir of Trauma and Transcendence by Matthew Sanford
- Yoga and Multiple Sclerosis by Loren Fishman MD and Eric Small
Also recommended reading, not required:
- The Yoga Handbook by Stephanie Keach
- Trail Guide to the Body by Andrew Biel and Robin Dorn
- NonViolent Communication by Marshall B Rosenberg
- Back Care Basics by Mary Pullig Schatz
- The Yoga of Breath: A Step by Step Guide by Richard Rosen
- Pranayama Beyond the Fundamentals by Richard Rosen
Two additional weekend electives are required to complete this program. The cost of these electives is NOT included in your tuition. You can select any of our 300 hour YA modules that are part of our 300 hour Advanced Training Program to fill this requirement, (weekend workshop, 3 full days, 4 full days or 5 full days). We encourage you to choose electives that you feel will enhance your teaching, your personal growth and your home practice. We will support your choice if it is chosen with that integrity. You can find a listing of these here 300 Hour Advanced Studies Modular program.
You may receive credit for electives you have already taken, as long as they were taken no earlier than one year prior to your start date, (your application will have room to list these). However, if you completed our 300 Hour Modular program (11 modules) we cannot give you “double credit”, you will need to take TWO additional modules. Luckily we have so many new and varied modules each year, you can still pick and choose whatever interests you, (even if you were to repeat a module that you loved you would still benefit immensely as repetition is sometimes our best learning method!) More details with registration packet upon acceptance, as well as detailed discussion our first weekend together.
50 hours of teaching (paid or unpaid, group classes or private). These hours can be retro-active six months prior to start day of program and need to be completed within one year of your program start date. These 50 hours are in addition to the 25 required Karma hours below. More details with registration packet upon acceptance, as well as detailed discussion our first weekend together.
25 hours of karma yoga (this is Seva, or free service). These are classes you offer to those who would otherwise not be able to come to yoga: (in hospital beds; women’s shelters; school classrooms; veterans, etc.) These classes are not to your friends or family. Think about different socio-economic groups that literally don’t have access to yoga – this is the karma yoga contingency. These hours can be retro-active six months prior to start day of program and need to be completed within one year of your program start date. These 25 hours are in addition to the 50 required teaching hours above. More details with registration packet upon acceptance, as well as detailed discussion our first weekend together.
A personal yoga journal documenting your home practice 6 days per week for the duration of the program. More details with registration packet upon acceptance, as well as detailed discussion our first weekend together.
Full attendance in the program is required for Yoga Alliance certification. It is not recommended or desired that you anticipate missing any weekends or segments. In the case of emergency only, making up the weekend will require extra time, money and sometimes travel.
- 100% attendance is strictly enforced.
- Absences will need to be made up on an agreed upon time frame with these expected fines:
- $300 if an entire weekend is missed
- $200 if a partial weekend is missed
- Both of these fees cover admin costs, private instructor hourly fee, and homework. Certification will be withheld until 100% attendance is completed.
Do you have questions, comments or concerns? Contact us